A lifelong love of learning begins here
The early childhood program (grades 1 and 2) respects and reflects the social, emotional, and cognitive needs of young learners. From the start of the school year, we work at becoming a community that works and plays together, respects differences, and tackles challenges. We offer students a balance of individual, small group, and whole group learning experiences.
Each day begins and ends with a group meeting during which important daily routines are established. In addition, opportunities arise for the children to make decisions and contribute to solving problems. We celebrate moments of individual accomplishment, and the satisfaction that comes from working together toward a common goal. We structure both formal and informal activities for cross-age interaction in and out of the classroom on a regular basis.
Our classrooms are lively and active spaces where students
- Are independent problem? solvers
- Are physically active and where play is serious
- Imagine creative approaches to challenges
- Work with and make real world connections
- Are assessed in a wide variety of ways and on a wide variety of work
- Take the lead with their questions
- Are known, understood, challenged and nurtured